How to fix Windows 2008 R2 System State backup fails during enumerate error
You receive the following error message when you run a System State backup on a Windows 2008 R2 server.
Error in backup of C:\windows\\systemroot\ during enumerate: Error [0x8007007b] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
Event ID: 517
The backup operation that started at '2011-11-08T22:11:00.350914600Z' has failed with following error code '2155347997' (The operation ended before completion.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.
Warning: If you use the Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
It is recommend that you do a registry backup and /or snapshot of the virtual machine prior to making any changes. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
To find out which driver is causing the issue, perform the following steps on the Windows Server 2008 R2 machine.
- Open a Command Prompt.
- Run the following commands to collect the VSS writer information.
a. diskshadow /l c:\writeroutput.txt
b. list writers detailed (wait for output to complete, this may take a few minutes)
- Open the output file "c:\writeroutput.txt" in notepad.
a. Search the file for the string "windows\\" without the quotes.
- You should see a driver listed like the one below, this is the problematic driver.
a. File List: Path = c:\windows\\systemroot\system32\drivers, Filespec = lsi_sas.sys
- Open Regedit and browse to the corresponding key.
b. Export a backup copy of the key.
c. Verify the DWORD "Start" is set to a value of "3" in hexadecimal. (0x3 = Load on demand)
d. Adjust key value if necessary.
- Test running the system state backup from the Windows backup Utility.
- Verify in the Windows Server Backup console that the system state is working properly.
- Reboot the server.
- Run the System State backup job in Servosity Professional.