Windows 2000 SP + Servosity
Shadow Protect Configuration
- Launch SP and go to the Backup Jobs tab
- Double click Create a job to start the Backup Wizard, click Next
- Select the system volumes you need to back up. ie c:\
- Select the destination for the backup.
- If backing up to a local drive, click Browse and select it. ie - E:\ and click OPEN.
- If storing on a network share, select Network Location. You will be prompted to create a new network destination enter the name, path, and enter the windows credentials needed to mount the network share and click OK.
- if you are storing multiple images in the same location, we recommend that you right click on the default file name and rename it to something identifying the machine you are backing up. Click Next
- Specify the backup schedule.
a. If you are able to, let's run the initial backup right away. Select "now" and "Full" and click Next
b. If you cannot run the backup now, let's schedule it for a later time. Select the start date and time, click next
- Options. In the space shown, enter the following name for the "Backup Job Name" : BackupJob . Click Next.
- Wizard Summary. Confirm all of your settings. Click Finish.
- If you scheduled the backup to begin immediately (5a) the backup should start up and begin running.
- The backup job will appear in the list and will indicate when the next run time will be
Servosity Pro Configuration
- Please download the following file : http://downloads.servosity.com/sp_diff.vbs and place it in the C:\Program Files\ServosityPro\bin folder
- Create a backup job to generate the first full backup of the base shadow protect image.
- click the gear icon
- click the + to create a new backup set
- Give it a name - ie Shadow Protect 2000 Full Backup
- Click Next
- New Backup Set Wizard. We need to select the directory you configured Shadow Protect to use above in step - to access this, we need to use the "Advanced Backup Source" file browser. Click "Advanced" as shown below.
- Advanced Backup Source : Select the source that you used above in option 4 (ie - E:\). Make sure all other sources are unchecked. and click OK to close the Advanced Backup Source, then Next
- Since this will be the full backup, it will only have to be run once manually to generate the initial backup/seed load. In the schedule window,
- Select the default backup schedule
- Click Remove.
- You will be asked to confirm "Are you sure you want to remove backup schedule". click Yes.
- Click OK to close the new backup set wizard. You will get a pop up reporting "Backup Set create successfully", click OK and then OK again to return to the main screen
- The next step depends on the size of the system to be imaged and the bandwidth available to the customer. From the main ServosityPro window, click Backup, select the "Shadow Protect 2000 Full Backup" backup job. If you are doing a SEED LOAD, click "Options" and select the "Local Hard Disk (Seed Load Utility)" option, click "Change" and then browse for your USB drive. Click "OK" to start the backup. Depending on the size of the image file created, this could take hours or days to complete.
- Once the initial backup is done and either uploaded or seed loaded, it is time to create a backup job to generate the differential backups of the shadow protect image
- Set this up exactly the same way as in step 9, except using a different name : Shadow Protect 2000 Differential Backup.
- Do not delete the schedule for this backup set. In step 7 above, click Properties instead of "Remove" and adjust the run time accordingly. Make sure the "Run scheduled backup on this computer" is checked and then click "OK" to save the schedule and then OK again when you see the pop up reporting "Backup Set create successfully"
- From the Backup Settings window for the differential backup set, click into the "Command Line Tool" tab
- Click "Add" to add a new entry
- change the name to something meaningful : "Servosity Shadow Protect for Windows 2000".
- Click "Change" next to working directory, and then browse to and select c:\Program Files\ServosityPro\bin.
- as the Command, plese enter : cscript sp_diff.vbs (the file you saved in step 8
- Click OK to save
- All Done. With the schedule in place, the backups should run automatically as scheduled. Depending on the size of the differential images, you may be able to run the scheduled job more frequently if needed.