The ImageManager consolidation service lets you periodically merge incremental backup image files into a consolidated file. Doing this reduces the time to restore and lets you reduce the size of the file chain necessary to restore a system. Fewer files means fewer opportunities for file failure.
ImageManager provides the following types of consolidated files:
- Daily Consolidated Files: At the end of each day, ImageManager rolls up all incremental backup image files created during that day into a single point-in-time incremental image file. Daily consolidated files include a -cd in the file name. For example:
- Weekly Consolidated Files: At the end of each week, ImageManager can roll-up all Daily Consolidated files created during that week into a single point-in-time incremental image file. Weekly consolidated files include a -cw in the file name. For example:
- Monthly Consolidated Files: At the end of each month, ImageManager rolls up all Weekly Consolidated files created during that month into a single point-in-time incremental image file. Monthly consolidated files include a -cm in the file name. For example:
- Rolling Consolidated Files: ImageManager rolls up multiple monthly consolidated files to further reduce the amount of storage space used. This creates a rolling consolidated monthly image file that consists of the specified number of -cm image files. Rolling consolidated files include a -cr in the file name. For example:
Note: To use rolling consolidation you must use ImageManager 6 and ShadowProtect 5. You are NOT required to create a new backup chain. The rolling consolidation feature of ShadowProtect 5 works with ShadowProtect 4 image chains.
|Note: The policies configured with ImageManager are different from the policies set in ShadowProtect. The policies defined in ShadowProtect apply only to weekly and monthly backup jobs. They don't apply to continuous incremental jobs. ImageManager handles the policies for the continuous incremental job types. Policies for StorageCraft Cloud services are also different than those in ImageManager or ShadowProtect. See the StorageCraft Cloud Services user guide for more information.|
To configure the consolidation service
- In the ImageManager console, select the ImageManager agent and managed folder.
- In the Configuration pane, select Consolidation Settings.
- Select Enable image file consolidation for this managed folder.
This option is selected by default. This means that once you add a managed folder to ImageManager, the Consolidation service automatically begins to monitor the folder.
- Configure the consolidation schedule, then click Save.
Weekly Consolidation (Default: Saturday) Specifies the effective end of the week for the purpose of creating a Consolidated Weekly backup image file. Monthly Consolidation (Default: the 31st day of the month) Specifies the effective end of the month for the purpose of creating a Consolidated Monthly backup image file. You can select a specific date, or a relative day of the week in the month (for example, the last Friday, or the fourth Monday).
ImageManager saves your consolidation settings. You can now configure your retention policy settings