StorageCraft recommends performing verfication of backup images to ensure that each image is ready for recovery.ShadowProtect provides three ways to verify the quality of a backup file:
- Use Mount or Quick Mount to open a backup image. Browse the folders and open various files. If you can do this successfully, you know the backup image is healthy.
- Use ImageReady to automatically run tests on mounted volumes. (See Using ImageReady for details.)
- Use the Verify Image tool in ShadowProtect to test the integrity of a specific backup image.
- Open the Verify Image Wizard in the ShadowProtect console:
- In the Tools menu, click Verify Image.
- In the Menu bar, select Tasks > Verify Image.
ShadowProtect displays the Verify Image Wizard.
- Click Next.
- On the Source Image File page, select the image set to verify.
|Note: You must have the proper network credentials to verify a backup image set stored on a network share.|
4. Click Next.
5. On the Backup Image Dependencies page, select the point in time to verify.
This page displays all Incremental backup image files associated with the selected image set. Select a specific backup image file to view its properties:
|Image File Properties:||Shows the volume size and used space, creation time, backup type (none, daily, weekly, monthly), compression type, password protected (yes/no), and any comments.|
|OriginalPartitionInformation:||Style (MBR, GPT), number, type (FAT, NTFS), bootable option, offsets and length|
|DiskInformation:||Disk geometry, disk size, number of the first track sectors and if it is a dynamic disk. You can also view the disk layout graphically at the bottom of the screen. Note: This represents what the disk looked like at the time of backup.|
|Originating machine:||OS version, the machine name, MAC address, the ShadowProtect engine version used to create the imagefile and drive letter of the mounted volume.|
5. Once you select the point in time you want to verify, click Next.
6. On the Specify the Verify Options page, select what you want to verify:
|Verify only selected image:||The Verify Image tool checks only the selected backup image file.|
|Verify selected image and all dependent files:||Verifies the selected backup image file and all files that it depends on. This process verifies the integrity of the full point-in-time backup. If you select this option, specify the order to verify the files (Newest to Oldest or Oldest to Newest).|
7. Click Next.
8. On the Wizard Summary page, review the details of the verify operation, then click Finish.
You can view the progress of verify operations in the Backup Jobs tab of the console.