- The first time you launch ShadowProtect SPX, you will need to activate the software with a product key (generated when creating the backup account).
Note: The Name and Organization fields are required.
- First you will need to define a destination. Click the Destinations icon (second from the left). Click Add and select the either network share or local volume. You can manually enter a path or browse for one.
Note: You may need to specify credentials when backing up to a network share.
- Next, click the New Job icon. This is where you will select the local volume that you plan to image.
- You will need to set a job name and destination. Leaving a comment is optional.
- It is recommended that you use standard compression unless you have extra resources.
- You can choose to remove encryption but it is set to AES-256 by default. If you do not choose to remove encryption you must enter a password.
Note: Do not lose this password as there is no way to retrieve it.
- Next, click the Schedule tab.
- For DR solutions, it is recommended that you choose a continuous schedule type. Make sure you choose when or how often you would like the backup to run.
- For the Advanced settings, it is recommended that you leave everything as default unless there are specific use cases that you require.
- When you are finished configuring the job, click save.
- If you specified the backup to run immediately (in the schedule tab) it will queue to run after clicking save.
- Below is a view of the initial full image (.spf) and a single incremental ( .spi) inside of SPX.
- Next we will set up ImageManager to verify and consolidate the image chain.
- ImageManger also comes with tools that will allow us to do things such as send email reports and manage retention. For more information on ImageManager's capabilities, please see the following link:
- When running ImageManager for the first time, you will be prompted to set a password. This is specific to ImageManager only.
Note: You can reset the password for ImageManager by following the steps in this KB article:
- After ShadowProtect finishes the initial full image, you can start to manage the chain by adding the path to the images to ImageManager. From this window click the folder icon in the top right corner or right click and select "Start Managing..."
- In the General tab, specify the path to your ShadowProtect images. Enter credentials if necessary.
- In the Verification tab, it is recommended that you leave everything as default unless there are specific use cases that you require.
- In the Retention tab, by default the "Override retention settings for this managed folder" is disabled. Click Save to complete.
- If an image exists in the managed folder, ImageManager will start the verification process automatically.
- To edit the consolidation settings, right-click "Consolidation" under the specific managed folder and select Properties.
- Click Save to complete.
- Lastly, perform a file backup of the ShadowProtect images using Servosity Pro. This is how you will push the images off-site to the cloud.
- First, log in and select the gear icon (settings) in the bottom left.
- Input the password of the Windows user.
- Select the Backup Source tab on the left. Un-check Documents and select Advanced.
- Ensure that your Backup Set only includes the directory of your ShadowProtect images.
- Select the Backup Schedule tab on the left. Select Properties.
- Specify a schedule according to your needs. It will default to 9:00 PM every day. Select OK.
Important: You need to disable the In-File Delta feature in Servosity Pro Version 7 as ShadowProtect accomplishes this on it's own.
- Select the In-File Delta Tab.
- Un-check "Enable In-File Delta".
- Click OK.
- Be sure to click Save Settings in the top right.
- Without this, your changes will not be saved.