The update from version 6 to 8 is finally upon us. We appreciate your patience with us as we have tried to do our best to make sure you have all the same features and options on version 8 as you did on version 6. Here's a list of some of the great new features you'll be able to enjoy on version 8:
- Modern interface
- The ability to change your backup account password
- The ability to set a custom encryption key
- New cloud destinations like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, Wasabi, etc.
- Brand new status page, including reporting for ShadowProtect backups (some assembly required)
You can find a list of other new features here: Servosity "Bowser" Release Announcement
Please be aware of the following potential issues:
- When you first open the new V8 client, it will ask you for your backup account login and password, as well as your encryption key. Please make sure you login with the correct account. Your encryption key should be the same as the account password for any V6 backup sets.
- If you change your backup account password, the encryption key stays the same. Please be aware that if you change your password, we will no longer have any way to recover your encryption key.
- Any new backup sets you create on V8 software will ask you to create an encryption key. Unless you use the default, we will have no way to recover this key for you, and your data cannot be restored without it.
Unfortunately, there were a few things we had to leave behind. The following Operating Systems will no longer be supported on version 8:
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows Server 2003
- Red Hat Linux 6
- Ubuntu 14.04
The version 8 client may or may not work on these systems. The version 6.29 client should continue to function normally, however if there are issues with either version we will not be able to support these systems for backups or restores.
There are also a few applications that we will no longer support in the version 8 client:
- Exchange 2010 or earlier
- MS SQL 2008R2 or earlier
- Lotus Domino
For these applications, if you currently have a backup set it may continue to run, however you will not be able to create a new one, and if you update the client software it may begin to fail. We cannot provide support for backups or restores of these applications.